In the sierras of central Baja California, only a few miles from Loreto, hidden in the most forbidding terrain, thousands of brilliant paintings and petroglyphs survive in caves and shelters. In Desert and Sea Expeditions we offer two different excursions to explore these ancient artistic representations: 1) Canipole or Pinguica and 2) San Borgitas.
1) Canipole or Pinguica
This cave painting site close to Mulegé is located 85 kilometers north of Loreto on highway 1 and 15 km more on roads. The paintings cave production is associated with visions of the leaders.
– Located 85 km,north of Loreto
– Approximated duration: 7 hours
-Departure: 9:00 am
-Walking 50 minutes each way
– Drinks (water and soda)
– Lunch box (burritos beef or chicken and beans and fruits & cookies)
2) San Borjitas
The cave painting is located in the Sierra de Guadalupe 170 Km north of Loreto on highway 1 and 35 Km on roads. The enormous ceiling of this cave is full of human figures, most of them permeated by multiple arrows and spears.
– Located 170 Km north of Loreto
– Approximated 11 hour tour departing from Loreto
– Departure: 6:30 am
– Hiking of 30 minutes each way
– Box Lunch